Thursday, May 04, 2006

Random Thought...

Well this isn't really a random thought but an answer to an email I received. I was sent an email from a "Cake & Ice Cream" reader that brought up the issue of black people and homosexuality. They asked why most blacks are so against it. Well, I can't speak for all black people but I don't have an issue with it. I love people in general, no matter what their race, gender, complexion, or sexual orientation may be. Some of the flyest, coolest, most interesting guys I know are gay. I like fly, cool, interesting people, so that works out for me, lol. But I don't have a real answer for why so many people are against homosexuality. I'm not gay, so I haven't experienced any of the discrimination that they have experienced. I think that is a question that would be better answered by someone who has been discriminated against or someone who is against it, so I can't relate. Being that I run a celebrity driven blog, I thought about how that issue ties in the entertainment industry. After reading the email, I realized there aren't too many openly gay black celebrities but there are a whole lot of openly gay white celebrities. When thinking right off the top of my head the only openly gay black celebrity I could think of was my favorite, Miss Jay (ANTM), but when thinking of white celebrities a lot of names instantly came to mind. Rosie O'Donnell, Ellen Degeneres, Portia de Rossi, Elton John, Melissa Etheridge...well you get it. It took until after Luther Vandross' died for it to come out that he was gay. There obviously is a stigma, hopefully one day things will change and black gays and lesbians will be accepted for who they are. Maybe then the whole "down low" thing will fade out and some men won't be afraid to admit they are gay. I'm sure there are a lot of celebrities that wish they could come out of closet but just don't want to subject themselves to all of the criticism. I don't know, but feel free to share your thoughts...

[Thanks for the email:)]