Thursday, June 29, 2006

Rihanna in Jewel...

Rihanna is definitely one of the "it" girls of the moment. The girl is everywhere these days. She is currently featured on the cover of the latest issue of "Jewel" magazine. In the photo spread she portrays four black female icons: Billie Holliday, Diana Ross, Dorothy Dandridge, and Lena Horne. I love the concept and the pictures are really cute. Here's a quote from the article...
Despite her youth, the 18-year-old can appreciate the foundation that her musical foremothers cemented for Generation Next's pop starlet invasion. "These women laid the groundwork for me, " she declares. "They never let anyone tell them no. If they hadn't broken down barriers, I wouldn't be here making music I love.

Rihanna also conects with these phenomenal women because she too is a trailblazer. As the first non Soca pop star to emerge from Barbados, she has become the poster child for her native island. "What I do reflects upon me and my people, " she says. "I feel a responsibility to represent my country, so I can't let them down.


[Thanks Ashley from Foxxology]