Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Nobody Liked This Cover...

And apparently Mary J Blige doesn't either.
Here is an excerpt from Mary's acceptance speech at the Vibe Awards. This portion was edited out of the show that aired tonight.
"Last but not least, I gotta thank Quincy Jones and this whole VIBE thing. Absolutely. For so many years, VIBE has given me great, great, great covers, but I must say, I'm very, very disappointed at the cover this time, so Mimi, me and you really need to talk, as women. No disrespect, but I really hated the way you guys shaved off my head, pushed my forehead way back behind my ears. I'm just insulted, so that's no respect on the cover, but I thank you, and I appreciate this award."
Well, it doesn't end there. Vibe's editor, Mimi Valdes, responded to Mary's statements. You can read some of Mimi's response below. Click the link to read the whole response.
Besides your desire to make a private conversation public, your accusations are untrue. How your hair looks on that cover is between you and your hairstylist. I swear, your hairline is no different than the Polaroids you saw at the shoot or the snapshots we printed in my What's Good column. In any case, you felt compelled to speak your peace, and at the end of the day, isn't this truly why we all love Mary in the first place?
Click here to see more pictures of Mary from that issue of Vibe


3 comments:








Anonymous

said...

mary is ugly, why did she expect to have a pretty picture?





Anonymous

said...

Don't like the hair do.





Anonymous

said...

What's up with Mary Latley?